Careers in Consulting
What's it like to work in consulting?
Consulting careers offer varied, challenging, and well-paid work. This work also provides exposure to different businesses and organizational issues.
While it is a demanding career path with long hours and frequent travel, it gives new graduates valuable opportunities to work on critical issues at all organizational levels. The three main types of consulting are:
- Management Consulting (Economics, Business,&Math)
- Implementation Consulting (Business, Change Management)
- Technology (Computer Science, Management Info Systems)
Often, implementation consulting overlaps with both management and tech consulting.
Consulting positions are in demand by students and new grads, and the recruiting process is competitive. Most Canadian opportunities are in Toronto, with limited roles available in Calgary and Vancouver.
Skill & qualities employers look for
- Break complex problems into components
- Generate a creative range of solutions
- Identify the most attractive solution through logical reasoning
- Translate analysis into actionable recommendations
- Effectively communicate solutions
- Relationship building & networking
- Critical thinking
- Presentation skills
- Grades/GMAT are important (particularly in Big 4&MBB firms)
Check out the Working in Consulting resource below to learn more about this profession.
Download the Working in Consulting PDF
(CWL login required)
Ace your case interviews with CaseCoach, an online tool job-seekers can use to help prepare for applications and case interviews in various industries. Get access to CaseCoach's Resume and comprehensive Interview Prep Course to enhance your probability of landing an offer.
Curious about salaries in Consulting?
Discover more salary & job data reported by UBC Sauder grads in SEAT's Research Tools
What can I join?
To make connections, build your network, and learn more about this profession, consider joining an association. Options include:
- Canadian Association of Management Consultants (CMC Canada)
- Association of Management Consulting Firms
How do I find jobs in Consulting?
- COOL job postings
- Company job postings
- Career fairs and company info sessions
- Connections made through Co-op work terms
- UBC faculty leads
- Business Career Centre staff leads
Get paid consulting experience during your degree with the UBC Sauder Co-op Program! Complete three 4-month work terms to learn new skills, and expand your professional network.