Leith Wheeler Investment Research Lab
Take advantage of real time tech sector data to inform your analysis and decision making.
Located in CLC 222 in the David Lam Library and Canaccord Learning Commons, the Leith Wheeler Investment Research Lab is part of the UBC Sauder School of Business computer lab system and provides students and faculty access to industry databases and financial analysis systems.
Financial database access:
- UBC Sauder students/staff/faculty please visit the 'CLC: Online' canvas course for instructions on database access, as well as the information about workshops and office hours.
- Non-Sauder users please see below for database access:
Database Access Policies for non-Sauder UBC Students:
Terminals are available on a first come, first serve basis. There is no pre-booking system to reserve a specific terminal; if the terminal that you would like to log into is in use, please try again later.
No food or drink is allowed in the lab.
Log off after each use
Capital IQ Access:
1. Please request login assistance at the circulation desk at the David Lam Library & Canaccord Learning Commons, and the staff will help you login to the Capital IQ terminal in the lab.
2. Launch Capital IQ on the desktop – no login required.
Morningstar Direct Access:
Please request login assistance at the circulation desk at the David Lam Library & Canaccord Learning Commons. The staff will help you login to the Morningstar Direct terminals in the lab, and login to the Morningstar Direct account.
SDC Platinum Access:
1. Please request login assistance at the circulation desk at the David Lam Library & Canaccord Learning Commons, and the staff will help you login to the SDC Platinum terminal in the lab.
2. Launch SDC Platinum on the desktop – no login required.
3. Enter the initials ssb to proceed.
PRIVACY NOTICE: UBC Library makes Bloomberg available for you for your convenience. Your use of Bloomberg is voluntary. Please be advised that the personal information you disclose when creating an account is stored on servers located in the United States. When you use this service, no personal information about you is collected by or for UBC. Canadian privacy laws do not apply to personal information you provide to Bloomberg.
Your creation and use of a personal log-in ID for Bloomberg is an implicit acknowledgement that you have read, and agree with, this notice.
Starting from July 1, 2022, Bloomberg terminal access is only available in person at the finance labs at the UBC Sauder School of Business.
- If you are a UBC Sauder user, please visit the CLC: Online (https://canvas.ubc.ca/courses/51980/pages/clc-online) (Finance & Digital Media Labs à Bloomberg)
- If you are a non-UBC Sauder user, please continue reading.
Bloomberg terminals are available on a first come, first serve basis, and are available for non-Sauder users in only the Leith Wheeler Investment Research Lab (CLC222) at the UBC Sauder School of Business. The Lab is located within the David Lam Library and Canaccord Learning Commons; it is only open during Library and Learning Commons’ hours. Please request login assistance at the circulation desk at the David Lam Library & Canaccord Learning Commons, and the staff will help you login to the Bloomberg terminals in the lab.
Once you are signed onto the machine, double click the Bloomberg Icon on the desktop.
- If you have a Bloomberg account, login to your account
- If you do not have an existing account, click on “Create New Login” under the username and password
- Tip 1: use your cell phone number as the work phone number
- Tip 2: use your student.ubc.ca email address as your work email address
- Tip 3: How to: Bloomberg (https://guides.library.ubc.ca/finance/bloomberg)
Some Useful Functions
BI Company Primer
Bloomberg Supply Chain
World Equity Index
Currency Rates Matrix
World Bond Market
World Economic Statistics
Global Commodity Prices
Bloomberg Market Concept
Bloomberg Brief Newsletters
Suggested News Alerts
Excel Template Library
About Leith Wheeler
Murray Leith (BCom ‘53) was one of three alumni who founded UBC Sauder’s prestigious Portfolio Management Foundation (PMF) program. Leith Wheeler Investment Counsel Ltd., the company he founded in 1982 has grown significantly and the PMF program has become a training ground for investment professionals across the globe. Murray is remembered for the strong emphasis he placed on ethics, integrity, and mentorship.
Honouring this longstanding association, Leith Wheeler donated $200,000 towards a much needed increase in Bloomberg terminals for the school’s finance students. Leith Wheeler has a longstanding history of supporting initiatives that benefit UBC Sauder students, with a number of alumni holding key positions at the firm.
Want to read more about the finance databases?
Access financial database information and get started using Captial IQ and Bloomberg with the Library's research guides.
Investment research lab policies
Priority use on database-specific terminals is given to users of Bloomberg, S&P Capital IQ, and SDC Platinum. One Bloomberg terminal, the S&P Capital IQ terminal and the SDC Platinum terminal can be used by non-UBC Sauder students. A staff member must sign on non-UBC Sauder students to the terminals. Please ask for information at the Service Desk.
- Ethical and appropriate use of data
- Respectful behaviour
- Respectful use of the space
Ethical and appropriate use of data
- Use of the Leith Wheeler Investment Research Lab is for academic purposes only. Commercial use is strictly prohibited.
- Sharing passwords for computers or databases is strictly prohibited and could result in withdrawal of access.
- The software, data, and services provided in the Lab may not be furnished to others or used for business purposes.
- Respect your fellow students. Maintain a quiet and professional atmosphere.
- Please be aware that you are adjacent to the silent study area. Limit conversation.
- Refrain from using cellphones in the Lab. Please leave the Lab and the Learning Commons to make or receive a call.
- Priority use on database-specific terminals is given to users of Bloomberg, S&P Capital IQ, Datastream and SDC Platinum. Be prepared to move away from a database-specific terminal if you are not using the specialized database assigned to it or if the terminal has been pre-booked by another user. You can use computers in the Learning Commons for other purposes.
- Do not eat or drink in the Lab.
Respectful use of the space
- Tidy your area and sign off the computer when you are finished using the workstation.
- Do not move furniture in or out of the room, or tamper with computer cables or other equipment.
- Contact the Service Desk with problems or questions about the room.