Academic concession

At UBC, we care about your wellbeing and are committed to supporting you in your academic pursuits. We recognize that sometimes unanticipated events or circumstances can affect your ability to complete your academic responsibilities.

You may be eligible for academic concession if your circumstances fall within certain categories. An academic concession is an allowance for you to make up missed coursework or an exam at a later date or by alternate means. 

What are the valid grounds for academic concession?
What is the difference between an academic concession and an academic accommodation?
What are the types of academic concession that can be granted?
Will I be required to provide documentation to support my request for an academic concession?


Refer to your course syllabi to understand which circumstances will require you to submit a request for academic concession and how concessions will be applied in each course if your request is approved. You should inform your instructor—as soon as possible—of any absence and confirm your understanding of how concessions will be applied in their course.

UBC Academic Concession policy  


Requesting academic concession

If you need to request an academic concession, please choose the category that you believe most accurately reflects your situation and read the instructions carefully. Supporting documentation and/or a discussion with an academic advisor may be required before a concession is granted. You must be in good standing (regular attendance, completed all coursework and mid-term exams) in your course to be eligible for academic concession.

Medical circumstances
examples: acute illness, injury
(students registered in the BCom program only)
Compassionate grounds
examples: bereavement, traumatic event
(students registered in the BCom program only)
Conflicting responsibilities
examples: representing UBC at a competition or performance, care of a family member, varsity sports
(students registered in the BCom program only)

Please note that once you have started an exam, the grade you earn will stand. You will not be given another opportunity to increase your mark.

If you are registered with the Centre for Accessibility (CfA) and your disability or chronic condition informs the grounds for your concession request (rather than an acute illness or unforeseen circumstances that are unrelated to your disability or chronic condition), please indicate so on your request form under Concession request basis


If you're uncertain if your circumstances would be considered valid grounds for an academic concession or under which category they would fall, please contact the Undergraduate Office as soon as possible to discuss your request with an academic advisor. When emailing our office, be sure to include your full name and student number.

Deferred Standing

If your concession request for a final exam or final term coursework is approved, you will be granted a Deferred Standing (also referred to as Standing Deferred) and a notation of ‘SD’ will be added to the course on your academic record. Your course grade will remain incomplete until you have completed all coursework.

How will I find out if my concession request for a final exam or final term coursework has been approved?
When will I write my deferred exam?
How do I arrange to write a deferred exam?
Will I still be able to access course notes and materials in Canvas?
How will having Deferred Standing (notated as SD) for a course impact my studies?
What happens after I’ve written my deferred exam?
What happens if I miss my deferred exam?

Do not make travel plans until you know your exam schedule

Do not make travel arrangements or personal commitments until the exam schedule has been published or you have confirmed your final exam date with your instructor. Resulting conflicts will not merit academic concession.

2019 Winter Session Term 2 Credit/D/Fail and withdrawal academic concession practices

If you switched one or more courses to Credit/D/Fail grading or withdrew from one of more courses in 2019 Winter Session Term 2, you may download the 2019 Winter Session Term 2 Credit/D/Fail and withdrawal academic concession FAQs for reference.

Hide Menu

Explore myBCom