Required to Withdraw Standing 

If your sessional average goes below 60%, you will be asked to withdraw from UBC.  

At the end of each academic session, you are assessed for eligibility to continue based on your sessional average. For BCom students, this means that if your winter session average1 falls below 60%, you are considered to have failed the year and you are asked to discontinue your studies at UBC for a period of at least one year. If you are required to withdraw from the Bachelor of Commerce program or another faculty at UBC, know that you are not alone, and many students successfully return to their studies once they have regained a pattern of academic success while away from UBC.   

If you wish to complete your degree in Commerce after being required to withdraw, you can contact an Academic Advisor at the UGO to discuss your situation and develop a new academic success plan. Also, you may wish to contact other on-campus support units relating to finance, health, and wellness during this time.  

1Averages are not rounded (i.e. a winter session average of 59.9% would be a failed year).  

Instructions concerning eligibility for readmission to the program will be given to students when they are notified of a failed year standing. Notifications will be sent via email and letter mail in early June.  

Note to international students: Being asked to leave UBC for a period of one year may affect your study permit and therefore your legal status in Canada. If you have questions about possible repercussions of a failed year on your study permit, we encourage you to refer to the International Student Guide. If you have additional questions or would like to discuss your options/next steps, please connect with International Student Advisor/ Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant available at International Student Advising in the UBC Life Building or contacting them at 604.822.5021 or    

Please be aware that students who experience two failed years are required to withdraw from the University. Review additional information in UBC Calendar Advancement Regulations - Readmission to the BCom program in such cases is normally not granted.  

Appeal for permission to continue  

  • The requirement to withdraw from the Bachelor of Commerce can be appealed but requires significant evidence that the issues causing the failed year have been resolved, including proof that you have connected with appropriate professionals (health, wellness, financial aid, etc.) to seek help. Please see below for instructions on how to submit your appeal to the Undergraduate Office via the permission to continue appeal form. 
  • The deadline for submitting the form is May 20, 2024. You may still submit an appeal after this date, but your response may be delayed and we cannot guarantee that a decision will be made before registration opens.  

Requirements for submitting an appeal:  

  • Letter of appeal – Download and complete the following appeal form:

Appeal form  

  • Supporting documentation – If possible, provide doctors’ notes, official medical documentation, or other evidence that supports the grounds of your appeal.  
  • Reference campus services– If you have accessed campus services such as academic advising, peer programs, Counselling Services, the Centre for Accessibility, etc., please include this in your appeal. If you did not make use of campus resources, but intend to do so moving forward, please make specific reference to the resources you plan to use. There are fields in the appeal form to include this information.  

Please collate all your documents into one PDF file and email the complete PDF file to the Undergraduate Office or to your academic advisor. It is important to note that you must submit your complete appeal in one submission; that is, all of the circumstances that you would like to be considered with all supporting documentation. Once a decision has been made on your appeal, you will not be able to submit additional information or documentation unless it refers to a situation or condition that was unknown to you at the time of your original appeal (e.g., a new medical diagnosis).  

Hide Menu

Explore myBCom