The BCom Career Managers offer a variety of coaching and advising appointments you can book to get personalized, 1:1 support!
Career Coaching & Advising
Personalized support for all aspects of your career journey
Not sure where to start when it comes to your career? Seeking tips and advice for your job search?
The Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre (BCC) offers a range of coaching and advising options, whether you're feeling stuck and unsure, or know exactly what you want to do.
You have access to free, personalized support for all aspects of your career journey throughout your degree (and even after you graduate through Alumni Career Services), to help you take action and thrive.
What is career coaching & advising?
Career coaching and advising involves talking with trained Career Development Professionals or Career Peer Advisors from the BCC. These conversations are tailored to you and can be about any topic related to your personal and professional development.
Since these career conversations are for and about you, you provide the topics and set the goals for these sessions. Our team of career professionals is here to empower you and help you along the way.
All BCom and B+MM students are encouraged to first attend Drop-In (Weekdays, 11am - 2pm, in CPA Hall) with Career Peer Advisors for:
- Application reviews
- Option selection support
- Other quick career-related questions
No appointments are necessary for Drop-in.
To book an in-person or online career coaching & advising appointment, go to COOL.
Who can you meet with?
What topics do students usually talk about?
Coaching & advising appointments can focus on any topic related to your personal and professional development. The most commonly booked appointment types include:
- Job Application Review: get guidance on your resume and cover letter, including tips on how to tailor your resume for specific roles and how to craft accomplishment statements
- Career Exploration/Navigation: get support and learn tactics to find out the types of jobs, industries, and employers that align with your interests and goals
- Job Search Strategies: find advice on where to get started and how to find meaningful work experience opportunities
- I’m Feeling Stuck: share what’s making you feel stuck, and we’ll help you create a path forward
- Interview Prep & Strategies: practice answering interview questions and get tips for success
Find a complete list of coaching & advising appointment types on COOL.
Where are appointments held?
Virtual Appointments: Zoom
- Connect two to three minutes ahead of your scheduled appointment
- Your Career Development Professional or Career Peer Advisor will connect with you at the appointment start time
In-Person Appointments: with Career Development Professionals
- Arrive at the BCC (HA 155) 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment
- Swipe in at the front desk with your student card
- Your Career Development Professional will meet you in the reception area
In-Person Appointments: with Career Peer Advisors
- Go to the Middlefield Breakout Rooms on the Basement level of the Henry Angus building five minutes before your scheduled appointment
- Your Career Peer Advisor will meet you outside the rooms at your appointment start time
How long are coaching & advising appointments?
You can book 15, 30, and 45-minute appointments—depending on your program and your topic.
How do you book coaching & advising appointments?
Take the following step to book a 1:1 coaching & advising appointment with a BCom Career Manager, Co-op Manager, or Career Peer Advisor:
- Log into COOL using your CWL
- Click on the “Coaching" tab
- Click “Request New Appointment”
- Select the type of coaching appointment you would like to book
- Select "Virtual Coaching Appointment" as your location for virtual appointments or "Business Career Centre" for in-person appointments
- Select "Check Availability"
- Once you select a date and time that works for you, fill in the required fields and click “Submit Request”
If you can't find any appointments available during the times you select, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Need more instructions on booking appointments?
Download the PDF: How to Book a Coaching Appointment on COOL.
If you have any issues making an appointment or have further questions, contact the Business Career Center at 604.822.6479 or email@example.com. If you're calling from out of town, our toll-free number is 1.877.777.6479.