1:1 personalized career support to help you thrive and land the job you want.
Career Coaching & Advising
At UBC Sauder, you don't have to navigate your career alone.
The Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre (BCC) offers a range of coaching and advising options, whether you're feeling stuck and unsure, or know exactly what you want to do.
What is career coaching & advising?
Career coaching & advising involves talking with Career Strategists and/or trained Career Peer Advisors about different aspects of your career journey.
You’re in charge! These conversations are for and about you and can dive into any career-related topic you want support with, including:
- Job application reviews
- Career exploration
- Job search strategies
- Feeling stuck (see a Career Strategist for these conversations)
Who can you meet with?
In 1st year, meet with Career Peer Advisors at Drop-in or book 1:1 appointments through COOL. Beginning in 2nd year, you can also book appointments directly with Career Strategists.
Registered Co-op students have access to a team of knowledgeable Co-op Managers to help guide them throughout their Co-op experience.
What topics do students usually talk about?
BComs most commonly book appointments for
- Job Application Review: get guidance on your resume and cover letter
- Career Exploration/Navigation: learn tactics to discover jobs, industries, and employers that align with your interests and goals
- Job Search Strategies: find advice on how you get started and find meaningful work experience opportunities
- I’m Feeling Stuck: share what’s making you feel stuck, and we’ll help you create a path forward
- Interview Prep & Strategies: practice answering interview questions and get tips for success
Find a complete list of coaching & advising appointment types on COOL.
How long are coaching & advising appointments?
You can book 15, 30, and 45-minute appointments—depending on your program and your topic.
Where are appointments held?
Virtual: Zoom—you will be emailed a Zoom link ahead of your appointment
In-Person with BCom Career Strategists/Co-op Managers: In the BCC (HA 155)
In-Person with Career Peer Advisors: Meet at the BCC (HA 155) before moving to your coaching room either in the BCC or the Middlefield Breakout Rooms on the Basement level of the Henry Angus building.
How to book an appointment?
- Log into COOL using your CWL
- Click on the “Coaching" tab
- Click “Request New Appointment”
- Select the coaching appointment type and location (select "Virtual Coaching Appointment" for virtual appointments or "Business Career Centre" for in-person)
- Select "Check Availability"
- Pick a date and time, fill in the required fields and “Submit Request”
Need more instructions on booking appointments?
Download the PDF: How to Book a Coaching Appointment on COOL.
Need help to find an appointment or have questions? Contact the BCC at 604.822.6479 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you're calling from out of town, our toll-free number is 1.877.777.6479.
Navigate Your Career Journey
Trying to figure out what type of work interests you? Or maybe you're wondering what resources can help you achieve your goals? No matters where you are in your unique career journey, you can use our career development model to help navigate your personal and professional goals at UBC Sauder and beyond.