Scholarships and Funding
Funding your studies
Student loans, scholarships, bursaries, and employment are all ways for you to finance your studies. Take time to understand the full range of financial support options available to you so that you can spend less time worrying about money and more time focusing on your coursework.
Maintain your eligibility for student loans
Government loans, grants, and interest-free status all require students to be enrolled in at least 60% (80% for Newfoundland loans) of a full-time course load in each term. Given the credit structure of the BCom program, the minimum number of credits you must be enrolled in varies at different year levels. Consult the course load guide at students.ubc.ca to ensure that you meet the requirements to maintain your funding. Note that eligibility to receive scholarships and to live in UBC residence is determined by separate registration criteria.
Scholarships and awards
In addition to entrance scholarships, there are many other scholarships and awards available to you as a student in the BCom program.
By application awards
- Many awards available by application are granted at the start of the school year to recognize academic achievement in your previous year of studies. Non-academic factors such as leadership, community involvement, or financial need may also be included in individual award criteria.
- The application deadline for 2023W awards is September 19, 2023 (11:59 PM PT). Applications are evaluated sequentially by award. Recipients will be notified as decisions are made, from early October until late November.
- Merit-based awards are generally awarded at the start of the academic year and are based on academic achievement.
- Year-end awards recognize academics and achievement during a particular school year.
- External awards based on various criteria are available are available to BCom students as well as the public at large.
Your Enrolment Services Advisor
Your Enrolment Services Advisor can help you with questions about your finances and provide personalized, confidential support. Find your Enrolment Services Advisor's contact information on the Student Service Centre under Personal Info > UBC Contacts.