Finance Mentorship Program
Serious about landing a summer internship in the Capital Markets or Commercial Banking sectors? The Finance Mentorship Program (FMP) is intended to help you explore career opportunities in these specific areas. Over a 5-month period, you will work with an industry professional who will help you better understand career paths in your area of interest and help prepare you for the upcoming internship recruitment season.
Offering two mentorship program streams in Capital Markets and Commercial Banking, you will be paired with a mentor in your area of interest (where at all possible). During your time in the program, you will come to develop a deeper understanding of the role(s) you are interested in, how you can prepare yourself to break into the industry, and how to prepare yourself for internship interviews.
Acceptance is limited and based on your:
- Understanding of your own career goals and skill
- Potential for your chosen career path
- Ability to successfully manage a relationship with a business professional
Program Timeline: April 2023 - June (end) 2023
Applications Open: 3rd Week of February, 2023
*Apply for the program on COOL under Jobs
Information Session: March 1st, 2023, 12:30 -1:30 pm PST @Big 4 Conference Rooms, HA 966-969
*Sign up for the session on COOL under Events
The learning objectives of this program include but are not limited to the following:
- You can give a clear statement of your chosen career focus and the reasons for this choice.
- You have a strong finance resume and clarity around your career goals.
- You understand which areas in local business and market trends you need to be current on in relationship to their area of interest.
- You can articulate to employer why you want the career they have chosen and why they are a good candidate.
- You can respond well during technical interviews, understand where you need to improve, and feel confident in an interview setting.
This program is open to BCom Year 2 & 3, and Co-op students who:
- Must be looking to apply for internships in the summer of 2024
- Must be returning to full-time studies in September 2024
If accepted into the program, you will be expected to complete all aspects of the program, including workshops and assignments. You may also be selected for inclusion in our resume book that is sent to employers. Finally, you will be asked to sign an agreement to the following:
- To accept the mentor assigned to me by the Business Career Centre
- To be respectful of your mentor’s time
- To keep any personal / business information shared by my mentor confidential
- To immediately communicate any issues with the program to Business Career Centre
- To complete all surveys and submit information requested about your employment search and its results
How to apply
The job posting will be made available on COOL in early March. Please note that there is one application form for applying to one of Capital Markets Training Program (CMTP), Finance Mentorship Program (FMP) or both.
Please submit your application to COOL (Jobs > Search) and include the following documents in your application:
- Completed FMP/CMTP Allication Form (attached on the COOL job posting). Be sure to indicate which program(s) you are applying to on the attached application
- Current resume
- Most recent transcript (official or unofficial)
Group intake interviews for both programs will be conducted in the BCC.
Please direct any questions to Michael Clarke at email@example.com
The UBC Sauder Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre thanks the CUS for their financial support of these programs.
How FMP helps
"My mentor has given me excellent help in shaping my resume and cover letters so it would not be thrown in the “no” pile. His real world experiences and no-frills attitude has helped me to be a better person and a better potential employee. He has given me countless advice that I could have not gained so easily without this program." - FMP mentee