COMM 448 – Business Logistics and Logistic Services Management
This course examines and applies management tools and principles to supply and distribution problems. Emphasis is first placed on developing a broad overview of the logistics field: what are its principle activities, decisions and how these activities produce value by supplying customer service through order fulfillment. Inter-functional coordination is reviewed by examining how logistics is coordinated or integrated with marketing and corporate strategy. Next, a thorough grounding in concepts, alternatives and tools for the primary activities of logistics: inventory, transportation, warehousing and order processing are presented. This provides the basis for examining issues in logistics system design, including stock location, sourcing, number and location of facilities and flow management. The organizational design of the logistics system across the internal supply chain is examined if time permits. Various problems and case assignments seek to encourage problem conceptualization, the application of quantitative methods, and the utilization of computing capability for solving logistics problems in specific areas and for designing the logistics system.
Students will learn how an integration of economics and operations provide a powerful set of tools for analyzing and providing solutions in logistics management.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- explain business logistics concepts.
- discuss how logistics activities produce value in the business organization.
- apply analytical methods appropriate to logistics decision making.
- address real world problems in logistics by applying the concepts and tools of business analysis.
- improve logistics decision making effectiveness through experience in problem formulation and solution recommendation.
- apply systems concepts to logistics problems.
- integrate logistics strategy with marketing, production and corporate strategy.
- achieve a proficiency in the application of one or more tools applicable to logistics problems.
- demonstrate proficiency in one or more logistics processes.
- describe the core decisions which apply to logistics services management.
- describe key challenges that logistics services providers fact, both in the day-to-day and longer term time horizons.
Note: COMM 448 will not be offered in 2021W.
Prerequisite: One of COMM 204, COMM 399.