COMM 386U - Social Media Strategy
Social media is changing how business is done around the world in almost every industry. The marketing and business worlds are undergoing fundamental changes in how consumers interact with brands and each other. Social media has helped give consumers a voice and connect them with their friends and other like-minded consumers, and it has also opened up numerous new communication channels available for marketers and brands to connect with current and potential customers.
This course is designed to help you understand how marketing has (and has not) changed due to the rise of social media and changes in various underlying contextual factors, such as dramatically increased speed of information dissemination across consumers and brands. The overarching goal is to obtain a clear perspective on what’s really going on in digital/social/mobile marketing so that you can begin to appreciate its true value to consumers, to managers, and to other corporate stakeholders. It will equip you with the relevant knowledge, perspectives, and practical skills required to develop marketing strategies that leverage the opportunities inherent in social media and consumer-to-consumer social interactions for achieving business and marketing goals.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand what social media is and how this new type of media and communications technology influences how business and marketing is done
- Understand key principles of “connected consumers” from psychological and sociological perspectives, and how these principles can be leveraged when developing social media marketing strategies
- Develop skill in using the predominant social media tools currently available for business/marketing communication
- Discover innovative uses for social media in a variety of business areas and processes (e.g., new product development and service management)
- Understand how to use various social media channels to publish and disseminate relevant branded content in order to engage consumers and to increase social impact, influence, and value
- Develop a strategic plan for identifying opportunities for using social media in a company
Prerequisite: COMM 296.