Capital Markets Training Program
Serious about landing a summer internship in the capital markets? Find out if a career in investment banking sector is right for you by taking the Capital Markets Training Program. Through a series of applied, in-depth training workshops led by finance professionals, the program will introduce you to evaluation /modelling (technical) skills needed to break into a career in the capital markets.
Facilitated by Learning Strategies Group, the program consists of five prep courses taken over the 2020 summer and 4 all-day workshops held over four consecutive weeks. At the conclusion of the program, you will have the opportunity to present your self-built valuation model to a panel of finance professionals and get feedback on your model and your time in the program.
Acceptance is based on your:
- Potential for a career in Capital Markets,
- Understanding of the skills required to succeed
- Academic history and extracurricular activities
- Group intake interview will be conducted.
Program timeline: Prep courses are completed over the summer (mid-June through end of August). These are followed by 4 consecutive Saturday workshops in September
Information Session: March 2020
When to apply: March 2020
Some of the topics/learning objectives covered in this program include:
- Identification of Business Drivers
- Analyzing financial performance of a company
- Laying out/ Structuring a model
- Capital Structure Modelling
- Building your own model from scratch
- How to Prepare your Pitch Book Presentation
- How to present your valuation model
This program is open to BCom Year 2 and Year 3, Co-op students who:
- Must be looking to apply for internships of summer 2021
- Must be returning to full-time studies in September 2021
If accepted into the program, you will be expected to complete all aspects of the program, including workshops and homework assignments. You may also be selected for inclusion in our resume book that is sent to employers. Finally, you will be asked to sign an agreement to the following:
- To pay the program fee by the specified time
- To attend and fully participate in all workshops, prep sessions and events
- To complete all homework assignments stemming from workshops and any prep material prior to program
- To immediately inform the Business Career Center and Learning Strategies Group if you are unable to attend any session
- To complete all surveys and submit information requested about your employment search and its results
Attendance at each of the four full-day workshops is mandatory.
Please note that no refunds will be issued should you be unable to complete the program.
How to apply
Please note that there is one application form for applying to one of Capital Markets Training Program (CMTP), Finance Mentorship Program (FMP) or both.
Please submit your application to COOL (Jobs > Search) and include the following documents in your application:
- Completed FMP/CMTP Allication Form (attached on the COOL job posting). Be sure to indicate which program(s) you are applying to on the attached application
- Current resume
- Most recent transcript (official on unofficial screenshot)
Group intake interviews for both programs will be conducted in the BCC.
Please direct any questions to Michael Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.822.7786.
The UBC Sauder Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre thanks the CUS for their financial support of these programs.