COMM 202 - Career Fundamentals
An introductory course on career fundamentals presented by the Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre covering professional cover letter and resume writing, and professional employment, networking and information interviews. The purpose of this course is to equip BCom students with vital tools necessary to land summer internships, part-time employment, volunteer opportunities, and work after graduation. Additionally, it will encourage students to take an experienced-based approach to their education and apply ethical and sustainable business behavior in a job search.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Resumé: Write an ethical, error free professional resume with profile/key competencies, education, accomplishment statements, and interests that meet the business needs of the company.
- Cover letter: Write an ethical, error free professional cover letter, including research, skills, knowledge, attitudes and interest, using C.A.R. statements that meet the business needs of the company.
- Employment interviews: Perform an ethical and persuasive behavioral employment interview leveraging non-verbal and verbal communication skills that meets the business needs of the company.
- Information interviews: Conduct an ethical and professional information interview with an industry professional applying effective research and networking skills. Explain the hidden job market.
- Networking simulation: Know how to find and develop connections in the business community, conduct yourself in a company networking event and follow up to build long term mutually beneficial relationships.
- Career Centre resources: Identify critical recruitment dates, information sessions, and resources available at the Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre. Draft sustainable career goals following COMM 202 Career Fundamentals.