Workshops and events
The Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre (BCC) organizes various workshops and industry events throughout the year to help you explore career interests, develop your skills and make lasting connections with the business community.
Career development programs and workshops
The Business Career Centre invites professional speakers to share their experiences through various workshops offered throughout the year. A few of these workshops are also livestreamed on the UBC BCom Student Services at the Sauder School of Business Facebook page. They serve as a handy resource for students to access from anywhere at any time, and students can sign on up for any workshop on COOL. Here’s a list of our popular workshops to give you a glimpse of what we offer:
- Intro to CPA Recruit: Stand Out from the Crowd (Jan 15): If you are considering your CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation, this session is highly recommended. Find out about steps you should be taking to maximize your chances of landing a summer internship, co-op placement, or full-time position at your target firm.
- The Secret Job Market: Job Search Strategies that Work (Jan 15): Searching for work can be one of the most challenging things you do to make your dreams a reality. Learn how to search for work using strategies that will help you now and into the future.
- Tips and Tricks for Successfully Managing the Canadian Workplace (Jan 17): This highly interactive workshop will discuss the soft skills needed to succeed in Canada.
- Using LinkedIn to Land your Dream Job (Jan 18): Past emloyers of LinkedIn walk you through everything you need to know to get started and become a LinkedIn expert.
- The Art of Relationship Building (Jan 22): This workshop gives you basic principles that apply to what we call ‘the art of relationship building’: learn how to seize every networking opportunity that comes your way through simple tips that will help you build, maintain, and leverage powerful and meaningful relationships.
- What should I do with My Life? Aligning Values and Career (Jan 24): Values are often overlooked by students, yet the best way to find a successful and fulfilling career is to make sure that the work you do matches with your values and personality.
- Interview Tips and Tricks: A Recruiter's Perspective (Mar 5): Want to ace the next job interview? What can you do to feel more prepared and confident before an interview? Come to this workshop on "Interview Tips & Tricks" to find out what you can do to be ready for your next interview.
- Selling your Personal Brand: Strategic Interview Storytelling (Mar 7): In this highly interactive intensive session, students will be taken into a crash course of effective communication skills that will involve both group and individual work.
- Before you Sign on the Dotted Line (Mar 11): This workshop will discuss key points you need to consider when reading through your offer letter and how to handle a negotiating process without burning bridges
- Shine While You Dine (Mar 12): Come to this session to learn proper etiquette around sit-down dining for interviews or at conferences.
The Career Advantage Program
75% of recruiters cut job interviews short because candidates are not able to demonstrate soft skills? At UBC Sauder we addressing this need by offering a series of workshops as part of the Career Advantage Program that focus on helping you learn essential soft skills.
Ready, Set, Get Hired!
Offered at peak times through the year, these 60 minute interactive appointments with an external consultant offer great opportunities to seek feedback from an outside perspective. You can use this time to go ov er an upcoming application, prepare for an interview or get your LinkedIn profile reviewed.
Don't miss your chance
Grow your skills by attending these various informative and interactive workshops.
Ways to connect with employers
Company information Sessions
These events are a great way to learn about different companies, uncover job opportunities and connect with prospective employers. The Business Career Centre invests significant time and resources to develop relationships with employers, from diverse start-ups to global brands. Companies include:
- Accounting Firms: KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and EY
- Finance Firms: RBC, BMO, CIBC and Scotiabank
- Marketing Firms: P&G, Nestle, Nature's Path Foods and Pepsi Co.
- Technology Firms: Amazon, Salesforce and Best Buy Canada
- Consulting Firms: Deloitte, McKinsey and Accenture
- Real Estate Firms: GWL Realty Services, CBRE Limited and PCI Developments
- Supply Chain Firms: DHL and Pepsi Co.
Fall & Spring Networking Socials
The BCC hosts a Networking Social each term covering a wide range of industries including consulting, marketing, corporate finance, high tech, and mining. Learn from business professionals as they provide insight on what it’s like to work in their position, company and industry.
Build your connections
Learn something new and make valuable connections at information sessions and industry events.
Get involved on campus
Case competitions and conferences
By participating in student-led case competitions, conferences and club activities. You’ll have the opportunity to apply your classroom learning and meet people from the business community including potential employers.
- The UBC Sauder Summit Global Case Competition is organized and hosted by UBC Sauder students each March.
- The Case Competition Club organizes internal and external competitions including the National Strategy Consulting Competition and Conference and the Strategy Consulting Initiative.
- UBC Sauder also hosts annual conferences include Chasing Sustainability, Me Inc., and Imprint.
Look for opportunities to get involved throughout the year!
Choose your option
Make the right decision by choosing an option that is the right fit for you.
Explore your BCom options
Which BCom option is the right fit for me?
After your second year in the program, you can shape your own career path by choosing one of the BCom options. Here are some resources to help you make the best decision.
Option Insider: Understanding Your Career Path workshops
These workshops will help you make an informed and confident decision about your BCom option. Come out to hear faculty members speak about option courses and related career paths. Faculty and senior students will be there to share their academic and professional experiences. These sessions are offered in Term 2.
Career Discovery Night
This event gives you the opportunity to learn about career options from working professionals and alumni in a fun, pressure-free environment. Offered each term, Careers Discovery Night involves speed interviews where students can ask questions and learn what people like about their jobs and how they got started.