Workshops and events
The Hari B. Varshney Business Career Centre (BCC) organizes various workshops and industry events throughout the year to help you explore career interests, develop your skills and make lasting connections with the business community.
Career development programs and workshops
The Business Career Centre invites professional speakers to share their experiences through various workshops offered throughout the year. A few of these workshops are also livestreamed on the UBC BCom Student Services at the Sauder School of Business Facebook page. They serve as a handy resource for students to access from anywhere at any time. Here’s a list of our popular workshops to give you a glimpse of what we offer:
- Networking: Beyond the Handshake!: This interactive workshop will highlight tips and strategies on networking so that you can create meaningful relationships.
- Present Like a Pro: This interactive workshop introduces practical concepts to enhance speaking skills be it in a job interview or in front of an audience of 1000.
- How to Leverage your LinkedIn: This workshop is divided in two sessions to give you a better understanding of how to setup a solid LinkedIn profile, gain a recruiters’ perspective on finding talent to leveraging tools on the platform to search for jobs and build connections.
- Before You Sign on the Dotted Line: This workshop will discuss key points you need to consider when reading through your offer letter and how to handle a negotiating process without burning bridges.
The Career Advantage Program
75% of recruiters cut job interviews short because candidates are not able to demonstrate soft skills? At UBC Sauder we addressing this need by offering a series of workshops as part of the Career Advantage Program that focus on helping you learn essential soft skills.
Ready, Set, Get Hired!
Offered at peak times through the year, these 60 minute interactive appointments with an external consultant offer great opportunities to seek feedback from an outside perspective. You can use this time to go ov er an upcoming application, prepare for an interview or get your LinkedIn profile reviewed.
Don't miss your chance
Grow your skills by attending these various informative and interactive workshops.
Ways to connect with employers
Company information Sessions
These events are a great way to learn about different companies, uncover job opportunities and connect with prospective employers. The Business Career Centre invests significant time and resources to develop relationships with employers, from diverse start-ups to global brands. Companies include:
- Accounting Firms: KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and EY
- Finance Firms: RBC, BMO, CIBC and Scotiabank
- Marketing Firms: P&G, Nestle, Nature's Path Foods and Pepsi Co.
- Technology Firms: Amazon, Salesforce and Best Buy Canada
- Consulting Firms: Deloitte, McKinsey and Accenture
- Real Estate Firms: GWL Realty Services, CBRE Limited and PCI Developments
- Supply Chain Firms: DHL and Pepsi Co.
Fall & Spring Networking Socials
The BCC hosts a Networking Social each term covering a wide range of industries including consulting, marketing, corporate finance, high tech, and mining. Learn from business professionals as they provide insight on what it’s like to work in their position, company and industry.
Build your connections
Learn something new and make valuable connections at information sessions and industry events.
Get involved on campus
Case competitions and conferences
By participating in student-led case competitions, conferences and club activities. You’ll have the opportunity to apply your classroom learning and meet people from the business community including potential employers.
- The UBC Sauder Summit Global Case Competition is organized and hosted by UBC Sauder students each March.
- The Case Competition Club organizes internal and external competitions including the National Strategy Consulting Competition and Conference and the Strategy Consulting Initiative.
- UBC Sauder also hosts annual conferences include Chasing Sustainability, Me Inc., and Imprint.
Look for opportunities to get involved throughout the year!
Choose your option
Make the right decision by choosing an option that is the right fit for you.
Explore your BCom options
Which BCom option is the right fit for me?
After your second year in the program, you can shape your own career path by choosing one of the BCom options. Here are some resources to help you make the best decision.
Option Insider: Understanding Your Career Path workshops
These workshops will help you make an informed and confident decision about your BCom option. Come out to hear faculty members speak about option courses and related career paths. Faculty and senior students will be there to share their academic and professional experiences. These sessions are offered in Term 2.
Career Discovery Night
This event gives you the opportunity to learn about career options from working professionals and alumni in a fun, pressure-free environment. Offered each term, Careers Discovery Night involves speed interviews where students can ask questions and learn what people like about their jobs and how they got started.